The Information Systems Department seeks ways to use technology to provide better service to our citizens and to conserve City resources.
The Information Systems (IS) Department is responsible for the computer hardware and software used by the City. The IS Department assists other City Departments in evaluating, selecting and implementing computer systems. It also sets the standards for City computer systems. The IS Department provides support for City employees on computer issues. It also provides in-house training for City employees on how to use computers and software.
The department also manages the City's wide area network and phone systems.
Geographic Information System
We also maintain and provide support for the City's Geographic Information System (GIS). This tool assists other City Departments with being able to graphically evaluate data using detailed maps of the City. The Information Systems Department also manages the City Website. Updates to many parts of this website are made by the responsible department with our assistance.
The department is pleased to share with you some of the awards we have received:
- 2001 2nd Place for City/County Website from the National Association of Telecommunicators Officers and Advisors (NATOA): This is in recognition of our City Website
- 2003 Best Information Technology Project from the Michigan Association of Governmental Computer Users (MAGCU): Presented for our Electronic City Council Packet project
- 2005 Best Information Technology Project from the Michigan Association of Governmental Computer Users (MAGCU): This award was presented for our Department of Public Works Computerized Work Management System
- 2007 Best of Michigan Leadership Award: This award was presented by the State of Michigan to our Information Systems Director, Dan Putman, for his leadership in Collaborative efforts among all governments in Michigan
- 2008 Best Website Award: This award was presented by the Mi-GMIS organization recognizing our website as the best among cities, townships and counties in Michigan.
- 2013 Best Website Award: This award was presented by the Mi-GMIS organization recognizing our website as the best among cities, townships and counties in Michigan. This award recognized our unique partnership with the Livonia Marketing Consortium which provided their knowledge, experience and resources to assist with this make-over.
- 2014 IT Professional Award: This award was presented by the Mi-GMIS organization to our Information Systems Director, Dan Putman, for his leadership in the Government IT at the City of Livonia and across the State of Michigan.
- 2017 IMAGIN GIS for Everyone Award: The IMAGIN GIS for Everyone Award is presented to an organization that seeks to make GIS data or analysis accessible to other organizations and/or to the public and/or to GIS organizations that strive to disseminate and share data make spatial data available to everyone. We were recognized for our efforts to make GIS data available to both our employees and residents using our Web Based GIS Online applications
Green Information Technology
The City of Livonia cares about our natural resources and has done several things to try and reduce the waste through our use of information technology, these include:
- Since 2002, we have utilized Energy Star features on computers, monitors and printers. These features power down to a minimal level when the equipment is not in use.
- We have virtualized 85% of our production servers. This represents an approximate savings of $18,000 per year in power and cooling costs.