The City of Livonia strives to have the best swim lesson program in the area! We have combined the best aspects of other Learn to Swim programs into our own custom program to emphasize parent involvement, safety, and small instructor-to-child ratios. For more information, please call (734) 466-2934 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Swim Lesson Class Days & Times
For an up-to-date listing of current or upcoming swim lessons please refer to the Aquatics Section in the Parks and Recreation Connections magazine for a detailed listing of class fees, days, and times. Below is a list of class levels and descriptions. Pre-registration is required as space is limited. Must register online or at the Kirksey Recreation Center.
Swim Lesson Class Descriptions
Aqua Infants Ages 6 to 18 Months
This is a water orientation class for parents/guardians and infants. Goals include water adjustment, getting in/out, safety awareness, and water play with toys and socialization.
AQUA TOTS AGES 18 MONTHS TO 3 YEARS
This is a water orientation class for parents/guardians and toddlers. Goals include basic water readiness skills, getting in/out, safety reminders, water play with toys and equipment, and group activities.
Aqua Preschool Ages 3 to 5
Parents/guardians will accompany children in the water. Goals include transitioning the child into a class without the parent/guardian present, practicing fundamental skills, and safety reminders. Lessons are designed to make learning fun.
Green Group Ages 3 to 12
No prerequisites. This class works with students without parents/guardians in the water. Goals include comfort in the water, going underwater, basic swimming propulsion, and safety reminders. Lessons are designed to make learning fun.
Yellow Group Ages 3 to 12
Prerequisite: Must be able to put the whole head underwater and retrieve an object from the bottom of the pool. Goals include floating on front and back, basic swimming freestyle and backstroke with flotation aids, and safety reminders.
Red Group Ages 3 to 12
Prerequisite: Independently float on their front and back. Goals include basic swimming freestyle and backstroke without flotation aids, teaching rotary breathing and safety reminders.
White Group Ages 3 to 12
Prerequisite: Swim freestyle with rotary breathing and backstroke one width (30 feet) of the leisure pool. Goals include mastering breathing of freestyle and will introduce breaststroke and butterfly.
Blue Group 3 to 12
Prerequisites: Must be able to swim 25 yards of freestyle with rotary breathing, 25 yards of backstroke, 25 yards of breaststroke, and 25 yards of butterfly. Goals include mastering butterfly and breaststroke and improving efficiency of freestyle and backstroke. Introducing circle swimming, interval swimming, starts and continuing to work on turns.
Star Group Ages 3 to 12
Prerequisites: Must be able to swim 50 yards of freestyle with rotary breathing, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly with one minute of rest permitted between strokes. This is a technique and drill-based class.
Teen Group ages 13-17
Prerequisites: Swim freestyle and backstroke with an understanding of butterfly and breaststroke.
Adult Swim Lessons Ages 18+
The class will focus on comfort in the water, body movements, and beginning stroke technique. Participants may also work to improve stroke technique and endurance.
Aquatic Area Rules
- Youths 14 and under must be directly supervised by a responsible person at least 16 years of age. Non-swimmers must have an adult in the pool within arm's reach at all times.
- Avoid water activities if you have had diarrhea or contagious disease in the past two weeks.
- Showers are required before entering the pool.
- Children who are not toilet trained must wear a disposable or reusable swim diaper under a lined swimsuit.
- An appropriate lined bathing suit is required for swimming. Please, no t-shirts or street clothes in the water.
- Lazy River and Water Slide riders under 48 inches tall must be accompanied by a parent or responsible person at least 16 years old.
- Lap Swim -You may need to share your lane with other swimmers. Remember to circle swim, always staying to the right side.
- Only life jackets or flotation devices built into the bathing suit are allowed (non-inflatable). The use of these items requires a parent/guardian to be within arms reach of the youth at all times. Toys may not be brought into or used in the pools.
- Food/drink is not permitted in the pool area. Plastic water bottles only. Gum is prohibited.